By Joseph Ax and Makini Brice | 10 August 2018
REUTERS — Joan Fenton knows she will not make much money at her Charlottesville gift shop this weekend, when the downtown district will be virtually locked down for the anniversary of last year’s deadly white nationalist rally. But like many other owners, she will be open anyway.
“They want to be open in solidarity with the community,” Fenton said. “They feel that not being here is giving in to fear and terror.”
Officials in Charlottesville have vowed a massive police presence – with some 1,000 personnel assigned – to deter any violence. …
The organizer of last year’s event, white nationalist Jason Kessler, was denied a permit in Charlottesville this year but has secured permission to hold a demonstration on Sunday in Washington, across the street from the White House.
Washington officials said on Thursday that police were ready for the rally as well as five planned counterprotests that could attract close to 2,000 people in all.
Officers will endeavor to keep the two sides separate, Metropolitan Police Chief Peter Newsham said. Guns will be prohibited from the demonstration area. […]